This just in from the Brigade Secretary
ALL FBU MEMBERS
ELECTION FOR YORKSHIRE AND HUMBERSIDE EC MEMBER
Firstly let me apologise for such a long winded message, but within hours of the announcement that WYFBU are recommending Brother Steve Howley for Yorkshire and Humberside Regional EC member, someone who never had the courage to reveal their true identity, was castingdisparaging comments about the legitimacy of the Brigade Committee decision, something that I will not let go without challenging.
I’m always impressed when members or non-members from West Yorkshire (or other Brigades for that matter) take an interest in the outcomes from Brigade Committee meetings, there aren’t that many I can tell you. What impresses me more is when members or non-members from West Yorkshire (or other Brigades for that matter) TAKE AN INTEREST IN THE GOVERNANCE of the Committee, believe me there’s even fewer of those types of people, however an election between two candidates certainly draws them out especially when those individuals don’t agree with that Brigade Committee’s democratic decision. So specifically for “JOHN SHAW” (whoever you may be) and others who may be interested, let me explain a little about the Governance of WYFBU Brigade Committee.
1) The Brigade Committee meet the first Thursday of every month.
2) The Brigade Committee is made up of representatives from the 5 local authorities or Divisions (Div Reps of which there can be 2) and sectional reps, some with a vote, some sections don’t. There is a very good reason why WYFBU run this structure and that is because it’s much, much easier to be quorate (for a vote) than running the Branch structure which other Brigades do in our region and I suspect further afield. Under the Branch structure, if a Brigade has 35 branches, then that Brigade Committee would need 18 of those reps to attend to be quorate (50%+ 1), this is incredibly challenging and could mean that any vote taken wouldn’t be legitimate.
3) The Brigade Committee invite the Regional Officials to every meeting.
4) The Brigade Committee also invite ALL WYFBU MEMBERS to attend in an observational capacity, this is something I instigated 7 years ago when I became the Brigade Secretary.
5) None of the members, reps or officials, West Yorkshire or Regionally are compelled to attend.
6) Minutes are taken at EVERY meeting and agreed at the following meeting. These minutes are freely available to read, but understandably not made public.
Unfortunately, due to the Brigade Organiser and myself being required to attend a National meeting in Newcastle on the 1st March the Brigade Committee was postponed until the following Thursday.
Thursday 8th arrived amidst another massive snow fall which meant that some members of the Committee couldn’t attend, but let me be clear about the following points:
1) The meeting did go ahead, in fact in went ahead at Rothwell fire station because there was no-one in the Regional Office.
2) The meeting WAS quorate, with 60% of the Divisions represented and 50% of the voting sections, it is worth noting here that I do not get a vote and the Chair (or vice Chair in this instance) only gets the casting vote.
3) That vote was carried UNANIMOUSLY.
4) No Regional Officials attended.
5) Minutes are already typed up ready for ratification at the next Brigade Committee on the 5th April.
Regarding JOHN SHAW and his mischief making (if in fact John is a he) I will say;
I WILL NOT accept criticism about the legitimacy of the Brigade Committee from any individual who acts anonymously, MEMBER OR NOT.
I WILL NOT accept criticism about the legitimacy of the Brigade Committee from any non-member.
I WILL NOT accept criticism from any other member, rep or official from any other Brigade who perhaps do not have “their own house in order” regarding the Governance of their respective Committee’s.
I WILL gladly accept criticism from any member in any Brigade, where it’s factually correct and legitimately raised.
I will finish by saying that those who are out to publicly denigrate the Brigade Committee’s decisions using untruths and lies will become our enemy, there are legitimate means of raising concerns and the Committee are completely open and transparent. I would expect though until these cowards who hide behind pseudonyms have the courage to speak openly we may see more of these sorts of attacks in the future, or until the end of the EC election anyway.
So let me be absolutely clear;
On the 8th March 2018 at Rothwell Fire Station, West Yorkshire FBU UNANIMOUSLY voted to recommend Brother Steve Howley. This meeting was quorate, despite the horrible weather conditions and the minutes WILL be available to any member wanting to view them after ratification on the 5th April 2018.
Yours in unity,
WYFBU Brigade Secretary